Saturday, February 17, 2018

what happens to Frank after the novel CONSIDER THE SUNFLOWERS ends

In my novel CONSIDER THE SUNFLOWERS, the charming troubled Frank Warkentin can't commit himself to his wife or to their Mennonite faith. What happens after the story ends? Here's Frank in the novel I'm writing now. He's officiating at a wedding and the bride is late.

 

Pastor Warkentin stood broad-shouldered in a charcoal suit, his hair silver above his swarthy face. He smiled at me and admitted he had been late for his own wedding thirty years earlier.

 

I'd heard the story before; it was one of Adeline's favourites. Several people in the congregation chuckled, evidently recalling the event.

 

The pastor continued. "My wife, Tina, was a believer when we got married. But I was a doubter, sorry to say. I didn't come to the Lord until years later." The pastor's brown eyes searched my face and then Simon's. "However, I believe you two share that life-giving faith." He paused, waiting for a response.

 

Simon and I glanced at each other and nodded.

 

The pastor turned, his gaze sweeping the congregation. "Salvation through faith in Jesus Christ is a priceless gift." His rumbling voice filled the church.

 

I'd rarely heard anyone sound so sure of anything.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment